Privacy and Security of ReMBC Participants
ReMBC’s eMentoring Policies
Participants must abide by these policies. Violating these policies is grounds for dismissal from the program.
- Respect your eMentoring match’s opinions and experiences.
- This includes respecting your match’s background, experiences, culture, religion, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation.
- Though we encourage you to share your opinions, it is not appropriate to push your political, religious, or other agenda on your match – for example: feel free to share how your religion adds meaning to your life, but it is inappropriate to try to convert your match.
- Do not create or share any content that is rude, discriminatory or inappropriate.
- This includes using inappropriate language, such as swearing or using racial/ethnic slurs or terms that demean or target certain groups.
- Do not share media (images, videos, music) with inappropriate content, such as violence/gore, nudity, drug use, etc.
- This program does not tolerate discrimination of any kind. Please do not share negative views or stereotypes that harm specific groups or individuals.
- Do not communicate with your eMentoring match outside the MentorCity platform without first speaking to the eMentoring staff. This includes finding them on social media, gaming platforms, online communities/forums, etc.
- Do not provide identifying information including, but not limited to, last names, phone number, email addresses, online platform usernames, and social media handles.
- Respect your match’s privacy. All information that you and your match create or share on the platform is confidential and should not be shared with anyone beyond the eMentoring staff or, if applicable, the mentee’s teacher.
- Respond to your eMentoring match within 3 days (72 hours). If you are unable to do so due to sickness, vacation, business, etc. Please let your match know!
- Commit to participating in eMentoring until you and your eMentoring match complete the program. Stopping the program without informing your match is unacceptable – and rude!
- Familiarize yourself with and follow all emergency procedures. These will be accessible on the platform when you are onboarded.
- Contact the ReMBC staff with issues or concerns about the program, including technical issues, violations of program policies, or if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember that there’s a REAL PERSON reading and responding to your messages.
Whenever you are on-line, stay safe and think about who will be able to see what you are sharing.
The eMentoring staff regularly monitors all communications between mentors and mentees to ensure safety and appropriateness. Teachers will also have access to all communications sent and received by their students.
Mentors are screened, vetted, and must pass a criminal record check.
Personal information collected: ReMBC collects personal information for the purposes of matching mentors and mentees, program evaluation, and academic research. All data collected is only accessible by the eMentoring staff for internal use. Any data collected for academic research purposes will be anonymized prior to use and publication.
Data storage: to comply with FIPPA standards, data are stored in Canada, on Canadian servers. It will never be shared with anyone beyond the eMentoring staff, including advertisers.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at email@example.com